Child Maintenance

Child maintenance is regular, reliable financial support that helps towards a child's everyday living costs. The parent without the main day-to-day care of the child pays child maintenance to the other parent. As parents, you have a responsibility to make sure any of your children are financially provided for.

Maintenance can be sought in two ways in the Isle of Man:

  1. If you are a married couple who are divorcing, child maintenance is commonly dealt with along with your divorce, or when you put in an application for financial provision.

  2. If you have a child, but you are not, nor have you ever been married to the child's other parent, you can apply for financial provision through the Court of Summary Jurisdiction - Financial Provision or through the Civil Division - Family Business of the High Court.

It is recommended that you seek the advice of an advocate before making an application for financial provision in either court.

Please remember that this section of the website can only provide you with a general idea of what is likely to happen. The website cannot explain everything about court rules, costs and procedures which may affect different claims in different ways. Court staff can provide you with information, tell you about court forms and procedures, but they cannot give you legal advice or answer questions like "Will I win my case?" or "What evidence do I need?".

A guidance leaflet about Child Maintenance is available at the public counter of the Isle of Man Courts of Justice.

An information sheet detailing what happens once a Maintenance Court Order has been finalised is also available.

Page last updated on 07 May 2024